4 Signs Your Body Could Benefit from Collagen
By Nikki Doering, RD, LD
June 1, 2020
Everyone’s talking about collagen powder and maybe your friend swears her joints feel better or her skin looks more youthful because of the collagen powder she is using. To sort through the many claims, we’re sharing what collagen actually does, who could benefit from incorporating it in their daily routine … and the best (and most delicious!) ways to use it.
Because of the many benefits of collagen, we recently created our own Key Collagen powder to source the highest quality available. It’s produced in a cGMP facility (good manufacturing practices), is dairy free, gluten free, and non-GMO.
Consider Collagen If You’d Like To …
- Decrease Joint Pain (And Postpone the Need for Surgery) – Day in, day out I see clients whose knees and hips are so painful it makes their favorite activities off limits. Turns out the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons supports this anecdotal finding of mine, sharing that over 1 million people had hip and knee replacement surgeries in just 2014 alone (1). For all those people (maybe you or someone you love?) looking for something to decrease pain and postpone needing surgery, Key Collagen is a great choice. It helps support healthy joint mobility and tissue – so much so that I’ve had several clients notice a decrease in joint pain shortly after introducing collagen – some even feeling relief in less than a week.
- Support Bone Health – We all know an elderly loved one who has fallen and broken a bone, and research backs that up, as an estimated 200 million women suffer from osteoporosis worldwide (2) and 1 out of 3 women (and 1 in 5 men) over the age of 50 will suffer a bone fracture (2). Yikes! If you want to support bone health, Key Collagen is a great addition. Collagen is a key component of bone health (right alongside calcium!) as it makes up a large part of our bone mass (3). The results of a study of 131 postmenopausal women showed that collagen increased bone density compared to no significant change in bone density in the placebo group (4).
- Reduce Appearance of Wrinkles & Improve Brittle Nails – This is perhaps what you’ve heard most about collagen (Anything that helps wrinkles is a sure-bet media story.) Key Collagen supports the health of your skin and nails. In one research study, a component of collagen (Verisol that is found in our Key Collagen) was shown to reduce the appearance of wrinkles (5) and in another, a 42% decrease in cracked and brittle nails was shown after 2 months of using the collagen powder (6). One of my clients swears by collagen powder because she noticed a decrease in her “crepe-like” (her words!) skin wrinkles.
- Promote Flexibility, Strength & Mobility – Most people don’t go around thinking “how can I help my tendons and ligaments,” but we do. That’s where Key Collagen comes in! Tendon and ligament injuries are a part of life, happening from overuse during exercise but also just during normal daily living and activities (7). The collagen peptide (Tendoforte) has shown to make an improvement in tendon and ligament health (8).
How to Use Collagen Powder
You may wonder if collagen replaces your whey protein powder. The body is not only composed of complete proteins, but is 25% to 30% collagen. Both have important roles to play and are made up of different amino acids with unique functions, and it’s beneficial to have the full spectrum of amino acids if you are concerned about bone or joint health. Collagen is a vital component of our whole body.
Key Collagen powder has no taste making it an easy to use.
- Add scoop of collagen powder to hot tea (my personal favorite) or coffee
- Add scoop to smoothie
- Add scoop to chia pudding like this Overnight Strawberry Chia Pudding my colleague Shelby taste-tested to perfection.
The benefits are many, so take advantage of the sale and use Key Collagen in combination with a healthy balanced diet of real food to help support your whole body health!