Braised Beef Short Ribs
Makes 4-6 servings | Gluten free and dairy free
2 Tbsp solid fat (butter, lard, coconut oil)
2-3 pounds beef short ribs
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
3-5 cups of dry red wine, or beef broth (you can use a combination of both)
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season short ribs with lots of salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the fat and when it has melted, add the short ribs and brown on all sides. This will take approximately 2 min/side. Transfer the ribs to a plate and repeat with the remaining ribs.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic to the pot and sauté for about 4-5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the red wine, scraping up all the little brown bits.
- Add the thyme and short ribs. If more than just the tops of the short ribs are peeking out from the liquid, add enough broth or water until about half of the ribs are covered.Cover the pot and transfer it to the oven. Cook until the meat is fall-off-the bone tender, about 2.5-3 hours.Remove from the oven and let rest 20 minutes.
- Optional: If you would like, you can make a sauce/gravy by straining out 2 cups of the cooking liquid into another sauce pan and simmer it until it has reduced significantly and begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
Serve the ribs with Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower, or a side of cooked wild rice topped with butter.