Poached Salmon Recipe
Makes 4 servings | Gluten free and dairy free
4-6 c. of liquid; a combination of water and/or dry white wine (a 50/50 mix of the two works well)
1-2 pounds of salmon filet, skin on
Fresh parsley or dill
Crème fraiche or sour cream
- Pour the wine and water into a large, deep skillet and bring to a simmer; bubbles should be coming to the surface but not too quickly.
- Cut the filet into 4-5 oz. pieces and cook them separately to make them more manageable. (One pound of meat will feed approximately three people. So if you want leftovers make sure to buy extra.)
- Slide the salmon filets into the liquid skin side down. Add more water if they are not completely submerged.
- Simmer over low heat for about 5-8 minutes depending on the size of the filet.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining filets as necessary. A fish turner works best for this.
- Serve the salmon warm or chilled. Sprinkle with salt and fresh parsley or dill and squeeze lemon as desired. Top with sour cream for ultimate finish!
Poached salmon pairs perfectly with asparagus, which could be simmered in the remaining poaching liquid for just a few minutes and topped with a little olive oil or butter.