Brined and Roasted Turkey Recipe
¾ cup course sea salt
¾ cup organic sugar
1 ½ gallons water
1 (7-10 pound) turkey
Step 2—Herb mixture
1 tsp. rosemary
¼ tsp. cracked pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
- Purchase a 7-10 pound turkey, allowing 1/2 – 3/4 pound per person. Thaw if frozen.
- In large pot, combine sea salt and organic sugar. Stir in 1 1/2 gallons of water. Stir until completely dissolved. Add turkey to pot. (The brining solution must completely cover turkey breast.) Refrigerate, covered, 12-24 hours.
- Rinse turkey inside and out after brining. Pat dry with paper towels. Arrange turkey on rack in shallow pan. Refrigerate, uncovered, 12-16 hours. (Allowing turkey breast to sit uncovered in refrigerator insures a deep golden skin when roasting.)
- Generously brush turkey with melted butter and sprinkle with herb mixture. Roast in a preheated 325 degree oven until meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees according to timetable (below). When turkey breast is a deep golden brown, cover with a “tent” of lightweight foil.
- Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Temperature will rise 5-10 degrees while standing