Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
By Melanie Beasley, RD, LD
October 15, 2019
As soon as the calendar flips to October you can be sure of two things, pumpkin everything and candy galore.
It’s probably no surprise that we don’t welcome the candy, or as we call it, the sugar season that kicks off with Halloween candy lingering until it’s time for Thanksgiving pies, then it's onto the holiday cookies—all in all it’s the making of a true sugar trap that is hard, (but not impossible!), to avoid. Not only does sugar wreak havoc on your brain, weight and mood, it also slows, and sometimes paralyzes, your immune function, which is the last thing you want this cold and flu season.
Combat the sugar rush by embracing pumpkin flavors galore; from soups to bedtime snacks we’ve got you covered. No sugar necessary!
Sugar-Free Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin and Root Vegetable Soup – You can’t go wrong with a warm soup for these autumn days. Serve this as a side dish or freeze for later use.
- Pumpkin Muffins – These gluten-free pumpkin muffins have all of the perfect flavors for fall and are nice to have on hand for busy days.
- Pumpkin Chili – Top this tasty chili with a dollop of full-fat sour cream for a balanced meal that will keep the whole family fueled for all the autumn activities you can pack in. It also freezes well for later use.
- Pumpkin Custard – A great option for a bedtime snack to balance your blood sugar, which in turn ups your chances of a good night’s sleep!
- Pumpkin Smoothie – Surprise your kiddos with this for breakfast and they’ll be requesting if for the rest of the month! Bonus, it’s perfectly balanced with a protein, fat and carb, which will keep their blood sugar balanced, and mood level. Sugar-loaded treats can’t do that!
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – A sweet treat that won’t leave you or your guests with a sugar-rush.
- Pumpkin Spiced Coffee – This list would be remiss without the ever-popular pumpkin coffee to kick off your day. Here’s a no sugar version, which last time we checked is about 50 grams (!) less than the popular coffee chain version.
There’s something for everyone on our recipe roundup. Let us know in the comments which recipes you’ve tried, or will try, before the clock strikes midnight on Halloween. Eh, who are we kidding, we’ll be spicing our coffee with pumpkin well into December.